Thomas Adès’ The Tempest, one of the most striking and successful operas of recent years, is available for the first time as a beautifully produced, limited-edition full score. Featuring the stunning image ‘Octopus’ by artist Claire Burbridge, this unique cased edition includes colour plates of exclusive images from Ades’ original handwritten score and sketches. Each copy is signed and numbered by the composer.
- Limited to 250 copies, with signed and numbered limitation page.
- Cased, square back and sewn.
- Endpapers feature original artwork ‘The Firmament’ by Claire Burbridge.
- Case features original artwork ‘Octopus’ by Claire Burbridge, printed in neon Pantone 809, with scratch-proof matt
- lamination and high gloss uv.
- Black book-block edges, ribbon and head & tail bands.
From the turbulent orchestral prelude with which it begins to Ariel’s stratospheric yet ethereal ‘Five fathoms deep’ and the radiant quintet of reconciliation in its final act, Thomas Adès conjures up a wholly compelling musical world in The Tempest. Responding to librettist Meredith Oakes’ clear, unfussy refashioning of Shakespeare into formalised rhyme schemes, Adès has created a new kind of tonal language that is both direct and communicative but also indelibly contemporary.